Medford Shoplifting Attorney
Defending Those Who Have Been Arrested For Shoplifting in Oregon
Are you facing shoplifting charges in Oregon? When the consequences of a shoplifting accusation can be life-altering, you need a skilled Medford shoplifting attorney to safeguard your rights and defend your case. The Law Office of Justin Rosas is here to help; we are ready to offer you the experience and guidance you need during this challenging time.
Call The Law Office of Justin Rosas today at (541) 933-5972 or contact us online to schedule a consultation with our Medford shoplifting lawyer.
What is Shoplifting?
Shoplifting is a criminal offense that involves the act of stealing merchandise or goods from a retail establishment without paying for them. This offense encompasses a wide range of activities, such as:
- Concealing Merchandise: This occurs when an individual intentionally hides or conceals items on their person, in a bag, or in any other manner with the intent to steal them.
- Altering Price Tags or Packaging: Changing or removing price tags or packaging to pay a lower price for an item is also considered shoplifting.
- Switching Merchandise: Switching the packaging or labels of items with the intent to pay less for an item is another form of shoplifting.
- Walking Out Without Payment: Leaving a store without paying for merchandise, whether it was intentionally concealed or not, constitutes shoplifting.
- Shoplifting in Concert: If individuals work together to commit shoplifting, they can all be charged with the offense.
- Other Forms of Theft: Shoplifting also includes other theft-related crimes, such as burglary or robbery.
What are the Penalties for Shoplifting in Oregon?
In Oregon, the penalties for shoplifting can vary based on several elements, including the value of the stolen items and any prior criminal record. Here are the potential consequences you may face:
- Criminal Charges: Shoplifting can be charged as a misdemeanor or a felony. Misdemeanor charges typically apply to less severe cases, while felonies involve higher-value thefts or repeat offenses.
- Fines: Convictions for shoplifting can result in fines, which may vary from hundreds to thousands of dollars.
- Restitution: You may be required to pay restitution to the store to compensate for the stolen items or any damages caused during the incident.
- Probation: Probation terms may be imposed, requiring you to meet specific conditions, such as regular check-ins with a probation officer, attending theft prevention programs, or refraining from entering certain stores.
- Jail or Prison: In severe cases or for repeat offenders, imprisonment may be part of the penalty.
- Criminal Record: A shoplifting conviction can have long-lasting consequences, affecting your ability to secure employment, housing, or educational opportunities.
Defenses Against Shoplifting Charges
Facing shoplifting charges does not automatically mean a guilty verdict. At The Law Office of Justin Rosas, we can explore various defenses to challenge the accusations against you, including:
- Lack of Intent: If you did not have the intention to steal the merchandise and it was a genuine mistake, we can argue that there was no criminal intent.
- Mistaken Identity: We can investigate whether you were mistakenly identified as the perpetrator, which can occur in busy retail environments.
- Illegal Search and Seizure: If your rights were violated during the arrest or search process, we can challenge the admissibility of evidence obtained unlawfully.
- Insufficient Evidence: We can carefully review the prosecution's evidence to identify weaknesses in their case and build a strong defense.
- Alibi: If you can provide a credible alibi that proves you were not at the store during the alleged shoplifting incident, we can use this as a defense.
- Negotiating a Plea Bargain: In some cases, we may negotiate with the prosecution to reduce the charges or seek alternative sentencing options.
Contact Our Shoplifting Lawyer in Medford Today
Don't let a shoplifting accusation tarnish your future. Contact our Medford shoplifting attorney today for a consultation. We will review the details of your case, discuss your legal options, and formulate a strategic defense tailored to your unique situation. Time is of the essence, so don't delay – reach out to The Law Office of Justin Rosas now to secure your best possible outcome. Your future is worth defending.
Contact The Law Office of Justin Rosas today to get started with our Medford shoplifting attorney.
More than a Decade of Experience
Over 3,000 Cases Successfully Handled
Numerous Jury Trials Won
Passionate About Helping People
Well Respected & Recognized in the Legal Community
AVVO 10.0 Rating
Case Dismissed Delivery of Marijuana, Money Laundering
Received Probation Unlawful Delivery of Marijuana, Federal Aviation Crash
Case Dismissed Murder
Case Dismissed Federal Supervised Release Hearing
Probation with No Jail Time Theft in the First Degree
Case Dismissed Money Laundering
Received Probation Delivery of a Supersubstantial Quantity of Cocaine
Case Dismissed Assault in the Fourth Degree
Case Dismissed Felony Driving While Suspended
Received Probation Using a Child in a Display of Sexually Explicit Conduct, Luring a Minor, Encouraging Child Sexual Abuse